Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Os Penis bones

While being interviewed by an author, let's call her Laura, about my early life the subject of raccoons came up and Laura, being professional,asked many questions about that misnamed mammal. Missed named because the Latin for Procyon lotor means washer of food. The raccoon is really a feeler of anything interesting including fecal matter. When the interview was concluded I decided to present a raccoon os penis bone to Laura. I have saved a collection from days of yore. She was amazed and interested. I explained that raccoons and their relatives, bears had bones as part of that organ. Elaborating, I mentioned that dogs and all canines and many other such have bones as part of that organ. Apparently, on arriving home the os penis bone became the object of conversation over the dinner table. Their teen aged son was impressed enough to bring that new knowledge to school with him and shortly afterword my author friend appeared at the school and was asked into an office by teachers and confronted with questions about such calcium deposits as the young student had shared with his classmates. My friend Laura, just happened to have the actual penis bone in her purse. I'm sure I don't know why she carried it in her purse, and produced it for the teachers to wonder over. Somehow my description had been changed to cause Laura to think I had said that on death the bone I had given her had materialized. The obvious question was, "Does that happen to all animals? Mankind, too?' Apparently there were no male teachers involved and if so that question would have been be a delicate one for a female teacher to ask. Hmmm. Daughter, Lee was involved as she was the one who introduced Laura to me and was given a rundown of the mystique of the world of os penis bone in the schoolhouse by Laura. Lee said she had never heard her father mention the creation of such after death. At last I, the "authority" on os penis bones, was informed of the situation. Somehow I refuse to be so misquoted and so this blog is to help clear the air.
To further clear the air be it noted that I was raised as a coon hunter by a coon hunter and it took some introspection before I concluded that to kill living things for the fun of it is wrong and will one day be so thought by the majority of our people. Perhaps at this point in the evolution of civilization we are slowly and actually becoming civilized creatures. One day we may even stop killing other humans.

1 comment:

  1. Well, George, you got it close to right (as I recall). I had inquired about the flexibilty needed, while the animal was living, and that's when I thought you said that it calcified (hardened) after death. The leap to human remains was made from lack of knowledge that only some species have a penis bone.
    Sorry for any misunderstanding. Your fan, Laura

    ReplyDelete